Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

I send out my love today to the mothers in my life:

Katherine, my beautiful and wise mom, the best friend I could ever ask for. I am always with her as she is always with me, be it in person for a soothing hug, at the other end of a long-distance phone call, or in the realm of spirits, intiution and dreams.

Laura, my step-mom. Warm and loving, the perfect complement to my quirky dad. My favorite moments with Laura are spent sitting on the couch in pajamas, each of us knitting with the company of at least one cat, a sports game on the TV in the background, and a tray of green-chile chicken enchiladas in the oven.

Emilia, my future sogra. I have loved getting to know Rico's mom. She is creative, makes a delicious cinnamon cake, and is always curious as to how we are doing in Maputo. More than anything, Emilia is a reminder to me of the quiet strength that lies in all women. We all have the ability to survive and rise above any circumstances life may throw at us.

One day I would also like to be a mother, to have the chance to give back the love that these women have shown me, and to implement the lessons we have learned together for the benefit of a future generation. That day is not here yet, nor am I ready for it to be, but I must admit I really look forward to it!

1 comment:

Safiya Outlines said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog.

I agree with you about motherhood. It's something I want very much, but just not yet!