Monday, May 22, 2006

The Beasts of Africa

Well, at least what I've seen of the beasts of Africa thus far. I must admit it's a pretty sad lot considering the incredible animals that can be seen not too far from here in game parks and reserves. I will get my first chance to see the *real* beasts of Africa next month on safari in the Okavango Delta of Botswana, a vacation that my uncle and his family have generously invited me and Ricardo to come along for. I can't wait!

Until then, here are the exciting animals I've seen in my year of living in Mozambique:

Speaking of snakes, here is the only one I've encountered so far in Africa. We passed it on Day 2, Hour 10 of our road trip from Maputo to Chimoio last November. Ricardo was infinitely patient and turned around the jeep just so that I could get a look at the squashed snake. Despite my phobia, I have an enormous fascination with snakes...

An impressive millipede that Ricardo picked up while we were touring a banana plantation in southern Mozambique.

Termites are considered a delicacy in the rural areas. Our night guard Zeca back in Chimoio used to spend his entire shift catching the termites that would swarm around our porch light, then pluck off their wings and roast them for a snack the next evening. In an attempt to be macho, Rogério (of the purple toilet paper nose blowing fame) asked Zeca if he could sample some of his termites and put them in a whisky glass to take inside the house. Rogério never got the courage to eat the insects, and this glass of termites sat on a shelf in the kitchen for a week afterwards before someone finally threw them out (or ate them, who knows?).

And of course, who could forget the goats tied to the top of the trailer as seen at the gas station where we filled up the jeep on our road trip? No, this photo is not a montage. This is actually a really common site in Mozambique. I've seen live goats and chickens tied along with suitcases and cardboard boxes on the top of busses, trailer trucks, cars, and chapas (collective transport vans).

Poor things...In addition to these beasts, I have also seen vervet monkeys on the side of the road as we drove to Espungabera to visit our tea factory partner, a couple of impressive-looking spiders, and a 4-inch leech that I found on the bathroom floor one morning back in Chimoio. And, of course, all the cockroaches that inhabit our flat...

1 comment:

sara said...

OMG. Those goats -- I laughed my you-know-what off. Even though it's not really funny.

We saw some unsafe loads while we were in SA, but that one takes the Grand Prize.