Saturday, April 08, 2006

A Few Bathroom Observations

  • We currently have the following reading material available in the bathroom: A document about the African Development Bank called "Private Sector Development" and the "NIA White Belt Training Manual." Previous selections back in Chimoio included the South African edition of FHM magazine with Jenny McCarthy on the cover wrapped up in a garden hose, and a book that takes a critical look at capitalism called "The Roaring Nineties." Our interests are diverse, to say the least.

  • I've discoverd that if I leave my dental floss on the shelf next to the toilet I am 99% more likely to floss my teeth on a daily basis.

  • I often shower wearing my Havaianas flip-flops. This habit started back in Brasil when I'd have to use communal or just generally unsanitary showers. The habit continued in Chimoio because I was convinced that one of my housemates was the type of person that would pee in the shower. Now that Ricardo and I are in our own flat in Maputo, obviously the shower is clean and pee-free, but I still use my Havaianas about half the time. Why? I discovered to my dismay that my flip-flops smell really, really bad if I don't give them a good scrub at least once a week. Since I can't get new Havaianas here, the solution is to keep them as clean and chulé-free as possible, thus the regular trips to the shower.

  • I have lost all shame when it comes to bodily functions, especially around Ricardo. Any imaginable sound, smell, or by-product a body is capable of making is no big deal. And let me tell you - life without being grossed out or embarrased by the normal things our bodies do is absolutely liberating!

  • Our bathroom is infested with dozens of little cockroaches. Actually the entire flat is full of the damn things, but we have deduced that at least one of the nests is inside the hinges of the doors to the linen closet in the bathroom. Every night they come out in droves, searching for anything tasty to feast on. In one of the grossest sights I've ever seen, I got up to use the bathroom one night and found Ricardo's hairbrush literally crawling with about 15 cockroaches. I grabbed a can of Doom and proceeded to spray away until the hairbrush was covered in poison and the roaches were twitching their last twitches. Then I opened up the medicine cabinet and, to my horror, saw 4 or 5 little beasties crawling on my comb. It seems that cockroaches are especially attracted to dandruff, or whatever it is that gets left on the bristles of a hairbrush or comb. They also apparently like weed, as I found a group hanging out on the handmade cannabis glycerin soap I bought in Cape Town. Needless to say, we now keep our toiletries sealed up as much as possible to avoid this kind of nasty surprise.

  • For unrelated reasons, I have stopped combing my hair. Not that the idea of cockroaches on my comb isn't revolting, but there is a higher power at work here. I've discovered - and Ricardo and several friends have confirmed - that my baby-fine hair looks a million times better if I twist it into locks and let it air dry. No comb necessary, just a few shakes of the head, some twirling of the fingers, and a good scrunch or two and I'm ready to go. It's unbelivably practical, and my hair gets these lovely soft waves and lots of volume. I may be in Africa, but I obviously still know what's important in life - that your hair looks good!! Hahahaha...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi Ali,

Thanks pela mensagem. Aquele blog de notícias de moçambique anda um pouco em baixo, mas vou voltar a actualizá-lo regularmente. E claro que vou adicionar o teu blog!

Bjs,
Filipe

sara said...

I'm not a squeamish girl, and I've dealt with cockroaches before, in the apartment I had when I lived in Atlanta, but let me just say that you are incredibly cool and courageous! I think I'd flip out if I found them on my hairbrush or toothbrush. You rock for your calm and almost amused attitude towards them.