Friday, April 14, 2006

Inspired by Alina's Blog

1.Grab the book nearest to you, turn on page 18 and find line 4.
"...their Mozambican workers in 1979, leading to an immense loss in..."
From "Mozambique: The Bradt Travel Guide". Talking about the oil crisis that caused South Africa to lay off most of its Mozambican mine workers, and the resulting foreign exchange crisis experienced here.

2.Stretch your left arm out as far as you can.
I've come across a can of 2M beer (one of Mozambique's national brands), a colorful cotton pillow from Zimbabwe, and a lovely wicker couch made by local craftsmen.

3.What is the last thing you watched on TV?
We don't have a TV, so I really have no idea. The last memorable thing I watched was an episode of 24 when Rico and I were in Rio.

4.Without looking, guess what time it is?
I'd have to say 12:53.

5.Now look at the clock, what is the actual time?
I swear I'm not making this up. It's 12:55!

6.With the exception of the computer, what can you hear?
Traffic outside our flat - mostly chapas, the ubiquitous vans used for collective transport here in Mozambique. I can also hear occasional pieces of conversation from my neighbors as they walk through the stairwell.

7. When did you last step outside? What were you doing?
Yesterday afternoon. Rico and I went to the grocery store, bought 2 cartridges for the printer, and stopped by a lovely Lebanese café to buy a bag of fresh pita bread (US $2.25 for 10 enormous pieces of bread).

8. Before you started this survey, what did you look at?
Articles on venture capital in emerging markets.

9. What are you wearing?
Old comfortable jeans, a soft t-shirt, and Havaianas. I don't plan to leave the house today, so I'm dressed in lounge clothes.

10. Did you dream last night?
Yes, that I was in Namibia swimming in the ocean. The tide came in and I had to swim under huge waves to get back to shore. The beach was full of beautiful pieces of polished glass and smooth stones.

11. When did you last laugh?
Probably last night right before going to bed.

12. What is on the walls of the room you are in?
Sadly, not much. I've put up a cross from New Mexico full of silver milagros with a picture of Frida Kahlo in the middle, but it not in a permanent spot on the wall. I just took advantage of an existing nail to break up the monotony of stark white walls.

13. Seen anything weird lately?
Each of the last 2 days Rico and I have gone walking around the city, we've encountered drunk men passed out on the sidewalk of a really busy street.

14. What do you think of this quiz?
A good distraction from the work I should be doing (i.e. updates on the timber project)

15. What is the last film you saw?
"Derailed" with Jennifer Aniston and Clive Owen. I watched it on South African Airways on our way to Brasil last month. It featured several scenes that creeped me out like few movies I've ever seen.

16. If you became a multimillionaire overnight, what would you buy?
Lots of plane tickets. Shoes. A 4x4 vehicle. A new laptop. Studio space for me to teach Nia classes. Antique furniture and crystal chandeliers for the Casa Rosa. An IRA. Pedicures and manicures for life. A personal acupuncturist. The Villa across the street...

17. Tell me something about you that I don't know.
I am afraid of many things: parallel parking, snakes, lightning, crossing the street in countries where they drive on the left, going alone to unfamiliar places...

18. If you could change one thing about the world, regardless of guilt or politics, what would you do?
Make everyone live in a country other than their own for at least a year.

19. Do you like to dance?
LOVE to dance.

20. George Bush.
Oh, shame.

21. Imagine your first child is a girl, what do you call her?
Sofia, Isabella, Alexandra, Alexa, Katia, Katarina...

22.Imagine your first child is a boy, what do you call him?
Alexander and Marino are the only ones I really like.

23. Would you ever consider living abroad?
Ha!

24.What do you want GOD to say to you when you reach the pearly gates?
With my blessing, please come in. But I don't really think there are pearly gates...

25. 4 people who must also do this meme in their journal.
Those who are inspired.

2 comments:

Alina said...

Loved your answers. And also saw I am not the only one looking for distractions while working :)

sara said...

This is great!...

I'm afraid of parallel parking, too, and I also don't really think there will be pearly gates.