Thursday, March 02, 2006

Quick Update

Okay...once again we're at the internet café and I have a million e-mails to respond to and some research about bananas I want to do. Time is short, but I am still glowing and zen-like from my Nia training so it is all good.

So for a quick update:

- Ricardo and I have found a great flat and will be moving in tomorrow! It is a 3-bedroom with wooden floors and a small varanda. One room will be our bedroom, the other will be our office, and the last one will be a Nia room / guest room!!! I'm envisioning decking the whole thing out with mirrors so that I can dance the night away and watch how silly I look in the process. We signed a 2-year rent contract, so we're definitely moving down the "put down some roots" path, which makes me very happy. Next step: buy an oven, a washing machine, living room furniture, a work desk, some chairs, and A NEW MATTRESS!!! Yes, the glorious day is near. Behold the goodness of South African department stores that stock semi-decent mattresses.

- Work is going well. Ricardo and I cranked out a proposal for the EU in 3 days!! It was for additional support for the smallholder farmers in the Espungabera area that will be supplying the tea for our factory. It was definitely tough to put the whole thing together in such short time (I usually like to have a month or two), but it was good because it made me let go of perfection. Some parts of the EU proposal were not excellent, but it was okay. I just prioritized and moved on to write more important sections. All in all, a very good excercise for someone addicted to perfection.

- Speaking of work, we should have word from the EU this week about whether or not the microfinance proposal I put together has been accepted. If so, that's another million dollars chalked up to our fundraising efforts!

- Random things:

It's really hot in Maputo. Like 110 degrees F hot, and really humid. I sweat all day...

Ricardo and I went to the only gym in town last night for a trial workout. The gym is in the top floor of a really shi-shi hotel, with a view of the indian ocean as you run on the treadmill. I think we are going to join after we get back from Brasil.

I hand washed half of my clothes in a bucket this morning, then hung them up on curtain rods in the flat we are currently staying in. I can't wait to have a washing machine again.

We leave for Brasil in 2 weeks. My mom is going to meet us in São Paulo, then we will all go to Rio together. Big events during the trip: my mom meeting Rico's family, and being in Rico's best friend's wedding. Good times!

Okay...that's about it. I promise I am going to get my act together and write about this Nia training I keep referring to. It was life-changing, and I'm dying to share!!!

No comments: