Thursday, July 14, 2005

Definitely Not What I Was Expecting...

Wow, what a way to make me curious... Comments on my previous entry have me totally blown away right now.

First, I'd love to know who exactly is behind this subtle movement to convince me to leave Africa!! Hahahahah!!!

Second, this was not at all the reaction I was expecting. Honestly I thought any feedback would come in the form of, "Hang in there, Ali. An insane workload and slugs in the bathroom and electrical blackouts are just part of the experience." Now two people in a row have pointedly suggested that perhaps it's time I throw in the towel and come on home, wherever that might be right now. Is my situation really that irrational? Do people hear about the things I'm doing and, despite any initial amazement or envy, think that I'm a few screws loose and rattling down a road that leads to nowhere?

Third, I am open to the possibility that perhaps dial-up internet and the blogosphere have completely wiped out my capacity to detect and appreciate dry humor... Frightening, to say the least.

On the heels of that...it's Friday night, I've worked all day, and I'm pooped. Brains totally scattered. I meant to finish writing about my trip to Espungabera but I just can't seem to muster up the effort. I want to make a point, though, to finish that story... Perhaps tomorrow.

So, at the end of the day (a stressful, frustrating, somewhat lonely one at that), all I have to say is the following: To leave Mozambique now would be to veer away from the path I have fought so hard to finally identify. It may seem precipitous, but this is it. I just know it. Everything is coming together...

2 comments:

Bart Treuren said...

hey, don't worry... scattered brains are a great way to live occasionally... not all of your life needs to be as rational or perfectly planned as you imagine occasionally...

cheers,
bart

Anonymous said...

Ali- I bet you didn't even know that I follow your blog and read some snippets aloud to the rest of the Tansey familia. Your experience so far sounds challenging - but in a good way that allows you to keep learning and growing and gaining new skills and perspectives. Whenever I move to a new place there seems to be a little period of rough water where I have to figure out how to create the life I want in the new place. It doesn't mean to pack your bags. But of course you know that! XOXO from the Bay, Jenny