Sunday, May 22, 2005

Rain, Rain Go Away

It's finally acting like winter here in Rio. Yesterday a strong wind blew all day, slamming the doors and shutters against their frames, the first signs of an approaching cold front. Then, about 5am, the rain finally arrived. First a proper downpour, then a light drizzle that has lasted all day.

The good news? The roof doesn't appear to be leaking. This is the first rain since Luis came to fix the shingles a couple of weeks ago. The bad news? Rain is one of the more inconvenient things here in Rio. Traffic clogs up, the cobblestone pavers that lead down the hill become as slippery as soap, and the clothes that I need to wash today will take at least 2 days to dry. Dryers are a rare commodity in Brazil, as are dishwashers for that matter. According to the forecast, it looks like my last days here will be chilly and wet. So much for my plans to sun on the beach again before getting on the plane.

I leave for Mozambique in 3 days. It hardly seems possible. Nearly a month has passed since I left Austin, yet in my head it seems like it was just last week. I'm really excited to be leaving, but wish I could stay longer here in Rio. The casa rosa already feels like home in many respects, but there is still so much missing. I feel like I'm taking off just as my role in Santa Teresa is being defined - neighbors are starting to recognize me, I know the hours of all the shops, the bus and trolley lines are no longer a mystery, and I've developed a simple routine that guides me through each day. Wake up, do some stretching and meditation, shower, run errands and take care of things in the house, have lunch, meet up with friends, go out dancing and drinking. Repeat.

I'm going to sign off now - I'm cooking fish with passion fruit and palmito for lunch today and need to start my prep work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boa viagem Ali!!!
Quando vc voltar pro Rio, eu já vou estar lá pra gente curtir muito!!
Keep us updated with your new adventures in Africa!
Beijosss

Anonymous said...

MMMMM good dinner.