Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Leaving on a Jet Plane

I spoke too soon in my previous post. The stupid roof still leaks. Luis will be coming by tomorrow morning to have yet another look. The electrician should come tomorrow afternoon, and the pest control guy will come on Thursday to spray for termites and brocas.

I leave for Africa tomorrow. Oh. My. God. I'm in the process of packing my suitcases (again) and it still hasn't dawned on me that I'm not going back to Austin. I'm going somewhere completely different, a new continent, new culture. Everything is going to be different.

I leave Rio de Janeiro at 2:10pm local time on a short flight to Sao Paulo. After a basic layover, I'm getting on an 8 hour flight to Johannesburg (can you believe it's only 8 hours??). I'll arrive in South Africa around 7am local time, then I have to wait all morning in the airport until my flight to Maputo leaves at 2pm. In Maputo, my friend and future colleague Ricardo should be waiting for me and we'll go to a hotel together for the night. Either Friday or Saturday morning, depending on how Ricardo's business meetings in the capital go, we'll catch the prop plane to Chimoio.

Wish me good luck, and I'll hopefully have internet access soon after arriving in Africa to update you all on my new home.

Saudades e beijos.
Ali

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!!!
I can't wait to have news from Africa!!!
Beijosss

Anonymous said...

Ali....Te desejo toda a sorte desse mundo,que esse novo "lar" consiga preencher mais um pouquinho do que vc esta procurando nessa vida....muitos beijos
to te esperando em London,ok
Gaby