Things I wish I'd brought along:
- lightweight baseball cap (I miss having a hat when I go running);
- pair of lounge pants (I brought leggings, which are fine and comfortable, but somewhat limiting in that they have to go *under* other layers, not over);
- another set of workout clothes (I brought 2 sets, but I've actually been really good on this trip and exercised at least 7 times. It's been okay just washing the workout clothes I have, but an additional set would have been great);
- thin pair of socks/knee-highs that can be worn with ballet flats (it's been COLD);
- a hoodie, or some other long-sleeved top that can be worn while working out (I've used my regular long-sleeved top, which has been okay, but I miss my hoodie);
- a travel umbrella (we've borrowed one from family for this trip, but it would be necessary in any other context);
- fabric beach bag;
- capulana/kanga/pareo or whatever you like to call a beach wrap. Ideally one that could double as a scarf.
- dressy tank top (I brought 2, which was one too many);
- quite so much makeup...I would have been fine with just the colors I wore for the wedding;
- set of gold costume jewelry (haven't worn it...was intended to make my outfits "dressier", but we ended up not going out at night at all this trip);
In all, a pretty good job. Assuming that I don't have to bring a floor-length formal gown and fancy high heels on our next international trip, I should be able to adjust the contents of my suitcase according to the above lists and still be within the 17.5 lb weight limit. And if it's a domestic trip, I have no worries since airlines don't seem to care how heavy your bag is as long as it is the appropriate dimensions.