Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Home Again

I am enjoying yet another multiple-hour layover in the Joburg
airport. Our flight out of Brazil was unexpectedly delayed 21 hours, so we
left the country a day late. This was actually not an inconvenience at all,
as South African Airways put us up for the night at the Caesar Park in São
Paulo, and Rico and I spent the time relaxing, eating (free!) good food,
sunning by the pool, and working out a bit at the hotel gym.

The break in our travel plans was especially nice because the last week has
been INSANE. Friends, if Rico and I wanted to get married with a full
ceremony and reception next week, we could probably pull it off. We planned
the entire freaking event in 4 business days. It was off the hook -
appointment after appointment, traveling Rio and her sister city Niterói by
subway, bus, ferry and taxi, negotiating prices where possible and doing our
best to nail down all the details.

As a result of the crazy runaround and all the long-haul travel of the last
month, both of us are marginally sick and very, very tired.

We will catch our flight back to Maputo in a few hours, then it's back to
work and life as normal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

But well, the cerimony will be "a vossa cara". A friend of mine had her mother-in-law do the whole organization because it was easier and there was the distance factor, and she had nervous breakdowns on the phone each time ! "I don't want pink ! My dress isn't pink !", whoopsy. We had pink ;-)

Make it safe and welcome back ! :-)

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, and congratulations on finishing up the wedding planning -- that's quite a feat!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that actually sounds really amazing :) 4 business days is like...wow, what I would like to happen when I start planning for my wedding :)

Anonymous said...

Serendipity is a marvellous thing. Hope you both had a safe journey.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Jo Ann V. - I think the ceremony will definitely be "a nossa cara", but I'm fully prepared for the possibility of "pink" in a couple of areas! I can't control it all, and that's probably a good thing to realize for my personality type. :)

~Mandi - Well, I wouldn't exactly claim it's finished, but we definitely made a lot of progress in the last week. Still several details to figure out - flowers, suits for the groomsmen, etc. - but in general we're all set.

~Alina - Believe me, I wouldn't wish that kind of craziness on anyone! We were worn out, stressed, and even got sick as a result of all the running around. Still, it is nice to sit back and realize that we managed to check so many things off our list!

~Safiya - Yes, and it seems the wedding planning process has been full of serendipity thus far. Remember the story of how I found my dress and shoes at the first shop my mom and I visited? :)