Monday, January 21, 2008

And, After Nearly 3 Years...

...we finally bought a car!

It's a 1996 Honda CR-V, silver, automatic, complete with airbags, sunroof and cd player. We purchased the car over the internet from an importer in Durban, South Africa, who specializes in second-hand cars from Japan.

The clearing agency at my work is taking care of the bureaucracy to get the car into Mozambique, which is pretty daunting and includes an inspection to verify that the price on the invoice is comparable to the condition of the car, multiple taxes that add up to over 50% of the value of the car, and getting the license plate and registration.

All said and done, we should have our third-hand (at least!) wheels in about 3 or 4 weeks.

I'm excited to be driving again, even if it is on the left-hand-side of the road. Especially with a sunroof and the possiblity of mix cd's and road trips!

5 comments:

African Kelli said...

that is so great Ali! Congrats. Very, very cool. Now, be safe on those bandit roads.

abby - the geek girl said...

Mix CDs and Road Trips are the BEST parts of having a car!! Congrats :)

Ali Ambrosio said...

~African Kelli - I admit, I am a bit intimidated by the actual *driving* part of owning a car! I need to get in some good practice with the mão inglesa, especially when it comes to parking.

~Abzdragon - For sure! I can't wait to be able to sing while I am stuck in traffic.

El Erik said...

Hey Ali!!! I cannot wait to see the saidera-movil :-)
Maybe up for a road trip! he he

JP (mom) said...

YEAH! I'm excited for you both :)
JP/deb