Thursday, June 22, 2006

Bush Planes

Getting to the Okavango Delta was quite an experience. Ricardo and I woke up at 4am to catch the first flight of the day from Maputo to Johannesburg, then after a short layover boarded an Air Botswana jet from Johannesburg to Maun, a small dusty city known as the gate to the Delta. Our flight of about 50 passengers was all foreigners, the vast majority American. We arrived in Maun shortly after lunch and were greeted by the people from Wilderness Safaris, the tour operator that had organized our trip. They gave Rico and I bottles of cold water and led us onto the runway to catch a charter flight to Seba Camp where we would begin our safari. This lovely little 6-seater was the plane we took.

The first 15 minutes of the flight I was sooooooo excited. I spent the entire time with my forehead pressed against the window looking at the rivers and swamps and islands below, a seemingly impossible landscape for a place that is predominately desert. My hope, of course, was to see some animals from the air...

...which we didn't, but the scenery was still just gorgeous, not to mention the giddiness from being "on safari" and flying in a private plane over the bush in the middle of nowhere.

The Okavango Delta is the world's largest inland delta and is known as the "river which never finds the sea." Waters from the highlands of neighboring Angola enter northwestern Botswana through the Okavango River, the principal channel of the Delta that at one time was connected to a large lake, flowing into the upper Zambezi waterways, the Limpopo River and ultimately the Indian Ocean. But tectonic movement raised up part of the land and changed the flow of the Okavango River, which now disappears into a 6,000 square mile maze of lagoons, lakes and islands in the Kalahari sands.

This photo was taken approximately 13 minutes into our charter flight. I was happy and excited and busy looking down at the bush to try and spot animals. Around minute 15 of the flight, my expression changed as the first waves of nausea hit. I never knew I got motion sickness on planes, but -wow- did I find out in Botswana. All the color drained out of my face, I felt my Air Botswana lunch in my throat, and I had to stare at the horizon and practice deep meditative breathing to keep from reaching for the air sick bag. I can't emphasize enough how grateful I was to touch down on a bumpy gravel runway soon thereafter - I didn't even mind the dust and the bumps!

9 comments:

Kristine said...

This is so cool!

Alina said...

Your safari sounds amazing, and you have hardly described its beginning! I am looking forward to hearing the rest and seeing the pictures.

paris parfait said...

The safari sounds terrific, but I don't like those small planes that lurch and shake. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Mimey said...

I always assumed small planes wouldn't agree with me. People who don't succumb to travel sickness don't seem to appreciate how terrible it is!

And I don't think a lack of poetry in your life makes you a freak. Although I've always had time for freakiness. And I may try to convert you ;-)

sara said...

Oh, this is amazing!...I mean, I'm sorry you got airsick...it seems like that could happen very, very easily on a small plane like that. But I really feel like I'm along with you on this adventure and it's so exciting!

Ali Ambrosio said...

Yep, the small planes were definitely not fun and after learning on the first flight that I get sick, I spent the next 3 flights with my eyes shut and didn't see any of the landscape or animals (which, of course, appeared in numbers).

~JVS - I'm game for any poetry conversion attempts you might want to throw my way!

Safiya Outlines said...

You'll have to start a having a Mr T- style glass of milk before each flight.

As for the poetry, have you read Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas? It's a mix of poetry and prose so it might be more satisfying for you.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Safiya - the only problem would be that I also don't like milk! (unless it has loads of chocolate mixed in, of course) hahahah.

I will try the Dylan Thomas when I get a chance to order books. Thanks for the suggestion.

_+*Ælitis*+_ said...

I had already seen this photos days ago and loved it, our mother Africa is so beautiful.

I never had nausea in a airplane, I have other feelings like I AM GOING TO FALLLL...

I only stood in Cuba during 2 months.

U are italian too? speak italian??

Glad to know you also love salsa! good taste

Beijinhos