Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Tacos in Africa

Our kitchen is a sad sight. Not only is it messy half the time, with stacks of dishes in the sink and open cans of tuna scattered about the counter, it is poorly equipped. We have a dual freezer/fridge that is skinnier than I am and comes up to my collarbone (imagine fitting food for 5 in there!), and don't have an oven, just a pair of dual electric burners that are impossible to regulate.

Between our runt of a kitchen, the unreliable selection of food at Shoprite, and the fact that we have no car, we are always struggling to come up with creative things to eat.

So the other day I decided to make tacos. It's very strange to me to see how mexican food has traveled across the world. While Brasilians were unfamiliar with burritos and tostadas until several years ago, for some reason mexican food is super popular in South-Eastern Africa. I can find all the right spices (except, of course, New Mexico green chile!), avocados, cheddar cheese, ground beef... Oh, and there are no tortillas! The solution? Make your own.

I got out the mixing bowl and a glass to use as a rolling pin, and set to work. I made a huge batch of flour tortillas, seasoned the ground beef, chopped up tomatoes, lettuce and onions, and made some guacamole. My housemates LOVED the tacos!!!

I have since made them 4 times, and watching everyone gobble up my version of comfort food is quite an ego boost!

Yum!

No comments: