Saturday, August 13, 2005

Guest Entry - Home by Jenna

Over the past several months, I have been carrying on various e-mail discussions about "home" with friends that have been reading my blog. Some different perspectives, many similar, all interesting and poignant. I particularly liked what my friend Jenna had to say about the concept, and would like to share a bit of her writings below...

"and then, as i read your blog, i thought of my own ideas of home. It's a topic that has occupied my thoughts many, many times over the last 10 years... if i were writing on my own computer right now, which i'm not, i would send you my first actual essay on home, which was written a few days before leaving spain in 98, and then became my college application essay... it pretty much consists in feeling torn between homes, knowing that i was about to leave, and hearing a voice in my head (parents?) saying, "Come home." and my question was, "Where is home? The first place you were? Or the last place you left?" i imagined that i had changed since leaving home, but it wasn't just me that had changed; it was also the "home" itself that had had a year to change without my presence.

at that time, it was a pretty profound dichotomy... but since then, i've discovered that the home concept is so much more complex... in fact, the first place for which i ever really, seriously felt homesick was the co-op i lived in my second year of college, which i moved back to for my last year, after italy... and yet, as i should have realized, the nature of a student residence is constant change, and the home that i'd felt so strangely justified in finally feeling saudade for was actually gone, or at least different. it was even more dramatic than the change i'd recognized in my abq home when i'd first returned. and i began to believe that home will never stay static, though it sometimes seems so, and the only way to keep it as your home is to live through its changes, to change within it, to let its changes happen around you... otherwise, we will always notice the differences, the ways in which we no longer fit into our former homes, as if you gave your favorite shoes to your best friend for a year and then tried them on again to discover that they no longer had that special perfection of form-fit to your feet...besides which, your feet had grown...

and as i continue on, i have considered that perhaps the meaning of home involves more than a place, more than a house, or the cafes where you're a regular, or the landscape, the weather, even the people and creatures who live there too; it's a junction of geographical, historical, and personal connections that compose a structure of familiarity and acceptance, which goes two ways: you accept the familiar home, and the home accepts the familiar you. and the size and shape of that home varies dramatically, be it a whole city/state/country, or one room of a house, or even in that most romantic of senses, the presence of a beloved other person... in any case, that is my current home theory... which leaves itself totally open to interpretation, something i've come to enjoy about theories (probably the result of too much po-mo lit-crit training)...

it's an attempt to incorporate all the other theories i've come up with over the years. but in the end, the theory is not what matters. it only gives us guidance and a feeling of credence to select what we mean by home... sometimes, all that matters is that we can feel at home in ourselves, especially when deprived of familiar houses or neighborhoods or park swings... i have been trying to accept the familiar me for the moment, to be at home in myself on this planet... i don't know how much sense that makes, but i think it has to do with decent self-esteem while still maintaining a critical stance and an ability to change and transform..."

By the way, guest entries are always welcome, for any other people out there that might be so inclined...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are my 2 cents. Confusion about 'where's my home' is a direct consequence of the so called 'American Way of Life'. Americans tend not to be tied up with anything, for the most part. Sometimes they miss more their cats or dogs, than their families. Living in a society with flexible moral constraints, weak parental support, and 'freedom' taken to the extreme, I no wonder why some don't know where are their 'homes' If divorce rate is at 50%, if you leave your families at 15-18 years old(assuming you're mature, stable, self-confident, and able to steer your life...which is NOT true), and -among other things- living in a society that values and praises 'consumption'...what the hell do you expect !!??. Fortunately, I do know where is my home.

Bart Treuren said...

thank you for this post... it means a lot to me as i've been struggling with the concept of home and feeling at home for so many years now...

i picked up the subject again yesterday in my blog because a number of life changes are looming and i'm a little apprehensive...

home... a place where you feel or felt safe, where you are comfortable with yourself and those around you and you understand the realities of the moment you are in... if anything, homesickness is a yearning for safety and familiarity, it can be anywhere and everywhere depending on your own mental makeup...

but wherever you go, and whatever you leave behind, you change yourself and the world you once knew changes also... its sad, but necessary if one needs to grow emotionally, spiritually...

keep well, and thank you...

Anonymous said...

REALLY 2 CENTS (BY THE WAY IN WHAT CURRENCY?): Knowing where is home is really an important thing? The person who wrote this comment seems to be someone that studied his/her whole life in the same school, went to the university right beside this school and lived his/her entire life in the same neighborhood. That’s an easy way to know where your home is. What a fucking boring and easy way to know that. I’d rather have my way of life which is not American but mine, having lived in several different places, meeting a lot of interesting people and realizing that I consider home not only one place but all of them which I had lived. Because in every place I met someone important in my life and every time I come back they make me feel at home. Hey mate, good that you know where your home is. Keep living in your small-and-boring world and thinking you can take one person and generalize an entire country’s average way of life. And that is exactly the way I see you. Bottom line: average person, envy about the American way of life, narrow-minded and boring. Congratulations, you definitely know where your home is… for your entire life… Cool… Cheers mate.

Anonymous said...

the blog gets philosophical... i like. let's just all hope we're all homeward bound.

Anonymous said...

wow. i'm glad you all took something interesting from my ramblings, and it's great to read your comments... even anonymous' "2 cents" is a valid, and common, response, which is not unique to foreigners with "envy about the american way of life" as the other anonymous said... in any case, "2 cents" might be interested in the other, slightly harsher, rambling blurb i recently sent to ali. by the way, ali, you're totally free to post it, or any part of it, if you're interested. thanks for this opportunity to jump into the middle of the conversation...

Anonymous said...

I don't envy your American Way of Life sucker. I take what is best for me, that's it. And in this globalized world, we all have -I think- a piece of the Occidental Way of Life. Some things are good, some others aren't. I criticize what I think make some people unstable, baffled, or asking themselves where are their homes. If you think your home is in many places, good for you. If by thinking differently I sound boring, that's your opinion. Maybe you could let us know how to be as much as cool as you are. Or as cool as you think you are. Sorry if what I wrote hurt you, but sometimes another standpoint can help you see the big picture. I am not saying I have the truth, but some of those elements could clarify why some people are confused. Bottom line: you didn't use arguments, but your liver.Oh!, and I can bet I have traveled more than you, so dismissed your 'narrow mind' argument, sucker. Hope my 2 cents in US dollars have calmed your liver.

Anonymous said...

Sucker?! Come on… Don’t try to label me as something that in reality you are. Looks like you were/are quite pissed about my comment. Relax mate. By the way, I am not American, never lived in the US and I definitely don’t have an American way of life. Try to learn something during your next travels because the ones you did so far did not help. Traveling does not make anyone open-minded. Get over it. Once again, cheers mate.

Anonymous said...

Another old post, but I'm going through all your posts as you see :)
Actually, home for me is wherever I put my pillow. Honestly. I don't even need the same pillow to feel at home. I've lived in Cuba, in Angola, in Portugal, in South Africa and now I'm in France. And I am as happy here as I was in South Africa. Maybe because I was born to a nomad family, we never know. But I don't see my life any other way than moving around.
It might change when it will come to children, but since I don't even have the father :P