Thursday, November 25, 2010

Maria, Lady of the Wax Print

"Maria, Lady of the Wax Print", acrylic on canvas board, 11x14 inches

After several weeks of painting patterns for my 2D visual dynamics class, we received an assignment to incorporate a portrait of someone who would be the "hero" of our selected pattern. This painting is of a Mozambican artisan and fashion designer named Maria, who I came to be friends with through the fairs at Café com Letras. The portrait is based on a photo of her that I took one day on the veranda of our flat in Maputo.

This was my first ever attempt at painting a person. I wanted Maria to look as if she were being surrounded by this swirling lotus-blossom pattern that I found on a piece of wax print fabric. This painting took about 5 hours to complete, and I am super pleased with the result.

I think it's safe to say I've been bitten by the painting bug. All I can think about these days (other than jewelry) is how much I want to keep painting!

5 comments:

Kathrin said...

Ali, Happy Thanksgiving to you and Rico.

You sure can be more then pleased with the result of your painting. I can't believe that this is the first time, that you painted a portrait. Wonderful job!!! Looks to me that you have found your calling: Painting

Eduarda said...

Fantastic, Alexandra.

Stacie said...

That is super amazing!! HOpe your T-Day was great...

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Kathrin - Happy Thanksgiving (belated) to you, too. I am so excited to have discovered painting, and really look forward to perhaps taking a painting class at school over the summer semester.

~Girl from Moz - Obrigada!!

~Stacie - Thanks so much. T-day was good, very relaxing and low-key. Hope you had a great holiday.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful!