Monday, February 06, 2006

Blah.

We're in the final stretch of the timber proposal. Deadline is in approximately 1 hour to send the narrative and financial models to our client. The only thing left between me and a nice, cold glass of juice is the stupid Executive Summary. I hate Executive Summaries. I have especially little motivation to write this one, as I have serious "issues" with the timber client and I am really, really tired after a not so fabulous day.

To start, I moved from the mattress crater back down to the floor with Rico last night without much success in sleeping. Then my dad, bless his heart, made his first international call in - oh, I don't know - 45 years and managed to wake me up at 3:15am. Dad, it was wonderful to talk to you, but please remember the next time you call that there is a 9-hour time difference between New Mexico and Mozambique!!!

So I work up in a horrible mood with a backache...And then I had to run for the toilet. We ate pizza yesterday from one of the two restaurants in Chimoio, and it didn't go so well for the old digestive system. Everyone in the house got the runs. I got hit particularly bad, and have spent the rest of the day drinking juice and orange Fanta and having everything go right on through my bowels in a matter of minutes.

Also, I realized today that I haven't been out of the house in 7 WHOLE DAYS.

I am stir-crazy and tired and ill in the gut...not a good combination. Now, on to that Executive Summary!

Ah, by the way - I don't drink gin and tonic copiously every day. I re-read my post and felt pangs of guilt as I imagined my relatives reading this and thinking that Africa has turned me into an alkie.

1 comment:

Bart Treuren said...

alkie?... no way, you write much too well for that and you're probably stretched and overextended at the moment...

try to find some rest points in your life, outside of your work, your relationship and your friends... something that is genuinely satisfying outside of your "normal" life...

africa is confronting, africa is more real than you'd probably imagined but you need some personal "down-time" to survive the culture-clash going on in your life... you can find it, but you need to make choices...

keep well... and hopefully, sleep well... ;-)