Thursday, December 18, 2008

99 Bottles of Meme on the Wall

Taken from Pea Soup.

Things you've already done: bold
Things you want to do: italicize
Things you haven't done and don't want to - leave in plain font

1. Started your own blog.

2. Slept under the stars.

3. Played in a band. Although I played piano for 15 years - not usually a band instrument - I was in jazz band in high school, and was in a side band with the bassist, drummer and guitar player from jazz band.

4. Visited Hawaii. Some of my favorite trips ever were to Kauaii with my mom.

5. Watched a meteor shower. Several, most memorably the Perseiad shower while bundled up in a sheepskin coat and lying on the hood of a car in the Sandia mountains.

6. Given more than you can afford to charity.

7. Been to Disneyland/world. Disneyworld as a child. But it wasn't a dream destination, and it's unlikely I'd ever go back.

8. Climbed a mountain.

9. Held a praying mantis.

10. Sang a solo. As the token native English speaker of Maringá, Paraná during my exchange year, I was convinced to sing "No Woman, No Cry" at my friend Ana's guitar recital.

11. Bungee jumped. (I went hanggliding in Rio, but am too scared to do any other jumping/flying related sports)

12. Visited Paris. On a 12-hour layover in 2007.

13. Watched a lightning storm at sea. Many times. Most memorable, though not at sea, was a massive lightning storm while in a river boat going down the Amazon.

14. Taught yourself an art from scratch. Jewelry-making, though I took some classes last year after 5 years of self-taught designs.

15. Adopted a child.

16. Had food poisoning. Frequently.

17. Walked to the top of the Statue of Liberty.

18. Grown your own vegetables.

19. Seen the Mona Lisa in France.

20. Slept on an overnight train. Most recently on our way to Sapa, Vietnam while on honeymoon.

21. Had a pillow fight.

22. Hitch hiked. In Greece, on Paros island, the summer I visited Lambros. I believe I was 17.

23. Taken a sick day when you’re not ill.

24. Built a snow fort.

25. Held a lamb.

26. Gone skinny dipping.

27. Run a marathon.

28. Ridden a gondola in Venice.

29. Seen a total eclipse.

30. Watched a sunrise or sunset.

31. Hit a home run.

32. Been on a cruise. To the Bahamas as a child. Not my cup of tea.

33. Seen Niagara Falls in person.

34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors. On my mother's side, yes.

35. Seen an Amish community. And eaten noodles with gravy in one of their restaurants in Ohio.

36. Taught yourself a new language. Portuguese, age 15.

37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied.

38. Seen the Leaning Tower of Pisa in person.

39. Gone rock climbing.

40. Seen Michelangelo's David in person.

41. Sung Karaoke.

42. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt.

43. Bought a stranger a meal in a restaurant.

44. Visited Africa. Check.

45. Walked on a beach by moonlight.

46. Been transported in an ambulance.

47. Had your portrait painted. By New Mexico artist Jane Mabry, circa 1990.

48. Gone deep sea fishing.

49. Seen the Sistene chapel in person.

50. Been to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

51. Gone scuba diving or snorkelling. (I've gone snorkeling, but seem to enjoy it less with each pasing year. Diving doesn't appeal to me.)

52. Kissed in the rain.

53. Played in the mud.

54. Gone to a drive-in theatre.

55. Been in a movie.

56. Visited the Great Wall of China.

57. Started a business.

58. Taken a martial arts class. Muay thai and capoeira.

59. Visited Russia.

60. Served at a soup kitchen.

61. Sold Girl Scout cookies. Yes, and I was damn good at it.

62. Gone whale watching.

63. Gotten flowers for no reason.

64. Donated blood. (Usually not eligible thanks to residence in malaria zone).

65. Gone sky diving.

66. Visited a Nazi Concentration Camp.

67. Bounced a cheque.

68. Flown in a helicopter.

69. Saved a favorite childhood toy. Several of my childhood toys are in the attic in Peci, though I didn't save them, per se.

70. Visited the Lincoln Memorial.

71. Eaten Caviar.

72. Pieced a quilt.

73. Stood in Times Square.

74. Toured the Everglades.

75. Been fired from a job. I've had non-renewal of a contract. Does that count?

76. Seen the Changing of the Guard in London.

77. Broken a bone.

78. Been on a speeding motorcycle. Dashing inbetween buses and traffic in Rio. Scary!

79. Seen the Grand Canyon in person.

80. Published a book.

81. Visited the Vatican.

82. Bought a brand new car. Technically my mom bought it for me, but I made many of the payments.

83. Walked in Jerusalem.

84. Had your picture in the newspaper.

85. Read the entire Bible.

86. Visited the White House.

87. Killed and prepared an animal for eating. Fish.

88. Had chickenpox.

89. Saved someone’s life. Not a physical feat, but I did an intervention with someone who was suicidal and addicted to pills.

90. Sat on a jury.

91. Met someone famous. I went to elementary school with Nicole 'Coco' Austin, though she definitely wasn't who she is nowadays. The famous person I was most excited to meet was Zeca Baleiro (musician) in the Rio airport baggage claim several years ago.

92. Joined a book club.

93. Lost a loved one.

94. Had a baby. Yes, people. It is italicized. Crazier things have happened.

95. Seen the Alamo in person.

96. Swum in the Great Salt Lake.

97. Been involved in a law suit.

98. Owned a cell phone.

99. Been stung by a bee. More times than I care to thing about. Wasps, too.

No comments: