Monday, September 12, 2005

I Love Maupto!

I remember when I first arrived in Maputo I thought to myself - Holy Christ, I´ve just left civilization behind. It was a shock to the senses to see the somewhat run-down condition of the city, people walking barefoot with livestock along the city streets, children running around with distended bellies, and the general chaos of any developing country.

Now, four months later and after having gotten used to life in Chimoio, I breathed a sigh of relief upon arriving in Maputo on Friday. As the plane touched down, I looked at the skyscrapers, businesses, asphalted streets full of people, and general hustle and bustle and thought to myself - Thank God I'm back in the civilized world!

Maputo is fabulous. Despite the poverty and need for a good coat of paint and road resurfacing project, it is cosmopolitan and beautiful. Ricardo and I will be here for the next 2 weeks and I am so happy to be in an urban environment I could burst!

2 comments:

Bart Treuren said...

actually, south eastern africa must be one of the most amazing places on the continent... the crossroads of so many civilisations, wars and disasters... one of my teachers at primary school in australia read us stories by the swahili people, of the great limpopo river and the animals that lived there... it's always stuck in my mind somehow... keep well...

Anonymous said...

ACABEI DE POSTAR NO ORKUT E AKI NÃO TEM FOTO TAMBÉM!
:O(
CADE AS FOTOILAS, GATCHENHA???

***a tal "carteira de velocípedes" foi sensacionaaaaaaaaaal! juro, ti mto aki!

bjocas sua rapariga! :o)