Friday, May 27, 2011

1,000

I remember the night I started writing this blog. It was almost summer in Austin and I was in the process of packing up my apartment. I'd decided to move to Mozambique, that it was time for an(other) adventure. I had a ridiculously heavy Toshiba laptop that took up most of the cheap build-it-yourself workstation in the corner of my living room. Azul was sprawled out along the top of my chair, purring contently. I worried about finding a buyer for my Saturn sedan, whether my plane ticket to Maputo would arrive in the mail in time, what exact assortment of clothes I should put in my already overstuffed suitcase.

That night seems like an eternity ago, much more than the six-ish years that have passed. I feel like a totally different person now, and in many ways I am.

This blog started out with humble intentions - to record my experiences in Africa and beyond in a way that was accessible to my friends and family - but it turned into something much greater. I never could have anticipated the number of people I'd meet, virtually and in person, as a result of my writing. What an amazing age we live in that these sort of connections are possible.

Thanks to all of you who have joined me here over the past few years. It's been a pleasure to get to know you, and your presence makes me want to be a better, more diligent writer.

Here's to the next 1,000 posts.

love,
Ali

3 comments:

deedee said...

Wow, 1000 is impressive. It's been fun following along, I'll be looking forward to the next 1000 :)

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Congratulations, Ali!

And I'm proud to say when I found you (you were already in Africa in the other place in Moz, not Maputo), I went back and read everything! In those days I had the time to do so. :)

Hugs to both you and Rico from the four of us.

Anonymous said...

Venham mais 1000! :-)