Saturday, December 15, 2007

Graffiti in Santa Teresa

In Santa Teresa, many times art imitates life. Much of the best graffiti in the neighborhood is based on actual street scenes, with incredibly lifelike replicas of neoclassical palaces appearing as the backdrop to the latest team of Brazilian soccer stars. Of course, many of the murals feature the bonde (trolley), the rickety yellow and blue symbol of Santa Teresa.

The graffiti in Santa, much like the other expressions of creativity in the neighborhood, are living works of art. They are constantly changing, different artists contributing their expressions to a clandestine visual conversation. Certain spots in the neighborhood are always receiving new layers of color and commentary; other places are seemingly abandoned, left to the rain and humidity, the colors fading to gray and leaving ghost-like traces of the original images.

I have a long-running obsession with street art. Today, finally, Rico and I took a long walk through the neighborhood so I could photograph some of the graffiti closer to home. Rio has some of the best urban art in the world, I am convinced, and I'd like to be able to take pictures of the murals and statements in paint that I see out bus windows as I go up and down the city streets. Perhaps, one day, I will go on this mission with my friend Jenna, who also shares this desire. Until then, I share with you here the unique style of Santa...















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, its very very beautiful :-)

Sa Lone Pikin

Linda said...

I enjoy finding grafitti in Paris too. Some of it is spectacular but I think those you took photos of have to be the best I've ever seen.

Unknown said...

What unbelievable graffiti. I particularly love the old man with the glasses - and the one of the woman screaming (or looking terrified at least) is kind of unnerving it's so realistic.

Bart Treuren said...

this graffiti is excellent, much better than is usual around here... there's life and expression all over the place...

keep well...

Mandi | No Apathy Allowed said...

I love it, those are excellent! They were recently converting a building in Soho into luxury condos and while they were stripping the building, they discovered graffiti from the 80's from some of the graffiti pioneers -- even with some pieces by Basquiat! They have plans to remove the wall put it in a gallery soon.