Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Ring, A Retch and a Resolve to Feel It All

It’s been a while since my last post. I’ve rationalized this absence by telling myself that I’ve been on blog holiday, but really it’s because I’ve felt overwhelmed lately. Overwhelmed in a good way, mostly, but I’ll admit it’s been a mixed bag. In the last month I’ve battled cynicism in my professional life, considered a major career change, had a resurgence in allergy attacks, Ricardo came back from Brasil, I got engaged, spent the holidays with my fiancée but far from the rest of my family, went on a road trip to South Africa, came back to Maputo and realized that real life – and a series of uncertainties – lie ahead and must be dealt with, one way or another.

So much has been happening that I don’t know where to start writing (or e-mailing for that matter – I’m dreadfully behind in responding to the messages in my inbox, and the last group e-mail I sent to friends and family was at least 9 months ago). Not only is there a lot to tell, sometimes it all gets to be so overwhelming that I start to have out-of-body type reactions and then, strangely, cease to feel anything. No excitement, no frustration, no anticipation…almost numb.

It’s as if I’m living out a story that I’ve seen time and time again. I know what will happen, I know each step of the plot and anticipate each twist and turn without surprise. It’s almost like déjà vu, my life a second time around only without the emotion and thrill of the original. It seems ridiculous to me that I could have such out-of-body moments given the adventure and newness of a lot of the major parts of my life right now.

I think the worst bit was right after Ricardo proposed to me. I’d be elated for a couple of hours, then sort of switch off. Then something would happen at work to really press my buttons and I’d want to pull out my hair, only to be “above it all” the next minute. The road trip to South Africa helped a lot, and I’ve felt much more grounded and like the real-time protagonist in my own life again since returning.

So all of this to say that I’ve got a lot to share, but have relieved myself of the pressure of having to capture every last bit in writing. Just feeling and concentrating on being in the moment is my main task right now. But I do have a few updates. J

First, thank you all so much for your lovely comments after I posted that Ricardo proposed to me. I promised more details, so here they are!

Ricardo arrived in Maputo on the afternoon of December 17th. I met him at the airport and after a lovely hello kiss we headed to my friend Jenny’s house for a special seafood lunch (suitcases and all!). It was a big day – not only was Ricardo arriving (and all my girlfriends meeting him for the first time after months of hearing me go on about my carioca), our friend Lacithecat was leaving Maputo after 3 months in Mozambique as a volunteer consultant for a local organization. We had a great time at the lunch and indulged in Jenny’s delicious cooking – clams, coconut rice, prawns, tabouli and a gigantic chocolate coconut cake for dessert. After all the food we could handle and a couple of cold beers for good measure, Ricardo and I left to go back to our flat.

Once upstairs Rico started unpacking his suitcase to show me all the goodies he and his family had bought for me. I got a beautiful black sundress from Rico’s that he got at his aunt’s store (she is a very successful fashion designer in Rio), some yummy natural shampoo and conditioner from Rico’s mom and grandma, and a big shipment of beads that I’d ordered online and sent to my dad in New Mexico, who in turn shipped them down to Ricardo in Brasil. Obviously I had a lot of exciting things to look through. Rico put all of my presents on the table in the living room and, as I had my head down going through all of the lovely things, he came behind me and gave me a hug. I looked up from the table and saw his hands in front of me holding a small black box. He opened it to reveal two beautiful wedding bands.

I turned around to face Rico and he said, “You’re already the woman of my life, but I want it to be forever. Will you marry me?”

Of course I said yes and gave him a huge hug and kiss. He slid the ring on my finger (it’s a little big – needs to be adjusted once we are in Rio) and put his on as well. The rings are so cool! Both are quite simple, but very modern looking. They are dual-tone, with half the band in yellow gold and the other half in white gold. The white gold half ends in an arrow point just off center. On my ring there is a small diamond in the white gold part, just before it tapers off into the yellow gold. I love it!

Rico and I got on the phone and called my dad, my mom, my grandmother, his mom, his dad, Beth (the woman who takes care of our house in Rio) and our close friends here in Maputo. After announcing the big news, we went out for dinner at Costa do Sol, the restaurant on the coast where I had my first meal in Mozambique and where my relationship with Rico began.

After several anniversary and birthday dinners celebrated there, we’ve gotten to know the manager of Costa do Sol. Every time we go to the restaurant, Sérgio comes to our table to greet us and we simply tell him that our meal is in his hands. He never disappoints. Our engagement dinner was a huge platter of grilled crayfish, shrimp, squid, and (of course) french fries. We had a bottle of white wine with dinner, then some port for dessert, then shared some shots of Amarula and some strawberry liqueur with Sérgio. We went back home lovestruck, slightly tipsy, and full of the Indian Ocean’s best. Once at our flat we enjoyed another bottle of white wine and spent the rest of the evening listening to music on my iPod in the living room. I even got Rico to sway with me to a few of the slow songs, no small feat for a man who is one of approximately 156 known brasilians that do.not.dance. All in all, a wonderful night.

So I went into the detail of our engagement evening (well – not *all* of the details, but my grandmother reads this blog for heaven’s sake!) to set the context for a very funny story. Thinking about it now, perhaps this isn’t the best story to share given that Grammy reads this occasionally, as do my parents, and Rico’s mom and grandmother, and several of my other relatives… Oh well. At the risk of tarnishing my reputation, this is what happened the day after our engagement.

Rico and I woke up around noon still glowing from our big news but also quite tired and, in my case, super hung over. Not surprising considering how much we ate and drank the night before, but it’s rare for me to feel quite so sick. We managed to get ourselves out of bed and met my girlfriends for lunch at a Japanese restaurant before Lacithecat’s flight home that afternoon. The entire time in the taxi on the way downtown I felt super sick to my stomach. Seeing sashimi and smelling all of the soy sauce at the restaurant made me feel even greener. I declined to eat anything and just sipped on a coke. I showed off my ring to the girls and told them the entire story. Before long Lacithecat had to leave to catch her plane, and Rico and I were off to FAO to pick up a check for the current contract we are working on.

Once at FAO, we had to sit in the accountant’s office for about 10 minutes while she searched around for our check and then for the appropriate person to sign it. To me it felt more like an hour. My stomach was doing flip-flops and I was dizzy. I’m not one to get sick often, and I know infallibly when a wave of nausea means business. The women’s bathroom at FAO is in an entirely different section of the building from the accountant’s office – through several sets of doors that must be opened with a staff security card – and I knew I’d never make it in time if I had to hurl. I closed my eyes and breathed, praying not to be sick right then and there. Rico stroked my hand and whispered encouraging words. Mercifully the accountant came back just as I thought I was going to have to make use of her potted fig tree. I put the check in my purse, grabbed Rico’s hand and dashed out of the building as quickly as my high heels would allow.

I’d hoped a bit of fresh air would make me feel better, but it was so hot and humid that it was absolutely no relief. I sat on a small wall in front of the building and tried to take deep breaths as we waited for our taxi to arrive. It was to no avail. I felt my heartbeat quicken, my palms broke out in a clammy sweat, and I started gagging. “Rico!” I managed to call out, “I’m going to throw up!!” With fabulous style and grace, I proceeded to vomit in the street right in front of FAO, to the delight of the building’s security guards, the receptionist, and our taxi driver who pitched up just as I started round two of being sick. It must have been quite the sight. Rico proved that he’s a wonderful fiancée and held my hair back and helped me clean the spatter off my dress *before* he started laughing uncontrollably. I do admit I joined in the laughter, despite the temptation to succumb to a huge wave of shame and hide for the rest of the month.

There’s nothing like a good vomit (amazing how you feel instantly better, no?), and I took extra enjoyment in the irony of the situation. Of all the places I could have gotten ill it turned out to be in front of FAO, one of the main NGOs involved in development work in Mozambique and around the world, the perfect embodiment of what is behind my terrible cynicism as of late. Regardless, it was a funny end to a perfect engagement story – and a good reminder not to mix wine, port and Amarula ever again! J

So there you go. Two stories for the price of one. In my next post I do promise pictures and tales from our road trip to South Africa. All I need is a little patience and some cooperation from blogger, and you’ll be able to share in our holiday fun.

I hope you are all well and that 2007 brings peace and fulfilment.

17 comments:

Monkey McWearingChaps said...

With all your posts about freak road accidents I was actually starting to get really worried about you.

I'm glad you had a wonderful trip to South Africa and time to just get away from the whole job cynicism thing.

But most of all, my heartiest congratulations. And may I just say that in spite of all the allergic attacks etc., that you look absolutely stunning in the picture you posted?

Toni M Photography said...

Congratulations AGAIN!!!

So glad things are looking good for you and Ricardo! and the trip was a good wind down for you.

And I must say this post made me laugh pretty hard. I've done things like that before and in the end all you can is laugh.

Keep up the smiling and big Hugs to you and Ricardo,

Love Toni

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi. It's great to see you back Ali. I've gotten so hooked on your adventures and I've been waiting for this one bigtime (as have we all). LOL Love the poetic justice of illness at the source of your angst. Good for you, well, your tummy anyway. Again, congratulations. You will have a very happy and adventuresome life, I'm sure.

Alina said...

Glad to see you back Ali!

Congrats again! You gave me wonderful news and the details just made it all better.

Sorry you were sick, I can imagine the shame! I once did somthing similar in the middle of Prague :) I was with my parents though.

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful romantic engagement story - what a sweet and lucky guy Rico is - but poor you, throwing up! (Although the location is a bit ironic and comical). Hope you're feeling much better and that everything starts to settle down. I always find the first few weeks of a new year hard to take - unsettling and overwhelming. This too shall pass!

Lacithecat said...

Ali - hysterical getting the text about what happened outside the fao as I was getting on the plane! Not exactly what I was expecting when I saw I had a text.

Welcome home and miss you guys. Off to Senegal this weekend, but alas was not able to swing via Mozambique (smile).

And don't overrationalize blogging. It comes or it doesn't. We will enjoy whatever the case (remember - blogging is about you ... and not the audience -yet!).

Much love,

Anonymous said...

Hi there--I don't know you, but I found your blog when I was researching Mozambique and you probably know how encouraging it is to find others who a) love to write and b) aren't afraid of taking big leaps. I'm a Peace Corps volunteer serving in Bulgaria with my husband. Our next move will include travel and hopefully residence somewhere in Africa. Mozambique, I must confess, just sounds cool. I'm enjoying your blog and look forward to more. Expect good things.

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Monkey - Sorry to worry you, I just coun't bring myself to type a single thing. I was barely even reading blogs since we'd been back. But now all is back to normal, technology taking up its due place in my mornings and evenings.

Thank you for the compliment. :)

~Toni - Thanks, girl! The trip was definitely what I needed. Glad to hear you enjoyed the sick story and that you can sympathize. Hope you are doing well.

~Annie Elf - I know, wasn't that the best little bit of irony ever? Ha! I don't think I'll ever forget that moment. I'm glad you've been enjoying my blog, I'm going to put up some pictures from the trip soon, so check back this week.

~Alina - Thanks, it's good to be back too. I need to go to your blog and get all caught up. Perhaps tomorrow morning over some tea. Hope you had a great new year.

~Paris Parfait - I agree, the first bit of the new year is always overwhelming for me as well. Especially if I make resolutions, although this year I kept it to just a few (hopefully) manageable ones.

~Lacithecat - Have a safe trip to Senegal. Too bad you weren't routed through Maputo. :) And thanks for the reminder about who I'm really blogging for in the end - very timely. Needed a reality check, so thanks again.

~Andrea - Hi, it's great to meet you. I just went to your site and was impressed - not only do you have an amazing story, you have such a cool page! Do you maintain it yourself?

If you don't mind my asking, what made you interested in Mozambique and why are you interested in moving to Africa? Feel free to drop me an e-mail if you don't feel like responding here, or feel free to not respond at all - I'm sure sooner or later I'll pick up some hints in your blog.

Safiya Outlines said...

Wonderful, wonderful news. I am just so so happy for you, please just try to enjoy this as much as you can, you really do deserve it.

Anonymous said...

ahh enjoy it all! (except maybe the vomiting). don't worry about updating your email/blog adventures right away. no need to feel any "obligations" to write. just let it flow whenever it flows - my guess is that your recent adventures and thoughts will slowly catch up and unfold on the blog naturally over the next few months anyway. and by the sounds of it, i don't think your blog readers will mind, it will be worth the anticipation.
ps. yahhh for you and rico! i just got engaged myself, (with a two-toned ring too:). i know what you mean about the surreal moments.

Kristine said...

I'm glad you are back. I read this and could help but remember the food poisoning my husband and I had on our honeymoon... :)
Oh sweet Ali - you and your adventures...
Congratulations again on the engagement. He sounds like a good man.

Alina said...

Ali, yes I have! I am sure you would be interesting on the photos I posted on views also. About 50 by now and still coming :D Yeah, I am a photo freak!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and Congratulations (again)! :D
esejo tudo de bom e do melhor! :D

JP (mom) said...

Very funny story Ali! Yes, mixing liquors is generally a bad idea - learned my lesson on that one before :)

Again, many happy wishes to you and Rico on your engagement - his proposal was stellar!

Cheers, JP

Unknown said...

You and Rico are such a lovely couple, and the vomit story was really touching. To pull your hair back and wipe the splatter off your dress...so endearing!

I am dedicating my lover's post to you...

[a} said...

Ooohh
that detail, the actual proposal was
so romantic!

The 2nd story is, of course, funny
but touching.
thanks for sharing :)

Willie Baronet said...

Congrats! Not on the vomiting of course. :-) I can't wait to hear more about your trip to SA!