Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Too much coffee and zimbabwean english

After thirteen straight hours in front of my laptop (8pm yesterday to 9am this morning!!), I am FINALLY done with the Agricultural Input Supply Sector Study. The duration of time it took for the completion of the required work at hand was an amount of time well beyond the usual duration of time necessary to complete a study. In a nutshell, my brain is fried.

Ricardo is leaving tomorrow for a month-long trip to Brazil and is taking both of my big blue suitcases with him to bring back things we can't get here in Chimoio. Everyone in our household has made a request list for Ricardo and I am already laughing imagining him trying to pass through customs on the way back to Africa. My list includes socks, plastic document folders, havaianas filp-flops, and *lots* of clothes. In the short month I've been here, about half of my clothes have been ruined thanks to hand washing and shoddy detergents. My brand new burgundy towel is already threadbare and full of bleach spots, my underwire bras are bent at totally unnatural angles, and my white linen pants are stained with unidentifiable dark blue splotches. It looks like I sat in an inkwell, but hey, this is Chimoio. Stained pants are just another part of life as usual. I can’t wait for Ricardo to come back from Brazil with a whole new batch of shirts and pants for our maids to ruin.

Okay, I recognize that I shouldn’t be complaining about bent bras and detergent stains when someone else is hand washing and ironing my clothes, but AAARRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! Assim não dá pra ser feliz!

No comments: