Saturday, April 07, 2007

Custom Jewelry - Ilha de Moçambique

Maputo, despite its status as the capital and largest city in Mozambique, is actually a really small place. Word travels fast through this community, and reputation alone can easily make or break a person no matter what his line of work. In my case, the Maputo word of mouth grapevine has been a great tool in growing my jewelry business. My marketing efforts are minimal to non-existant at this point. All I do is sell to my girlfriends at my occasional cocktail parties, and set up a booth at the crafts fair once a month.

Still, word has gotten around and I've recently received several solicitations for custom work from women in the international community. Coincidentally, both jobs involved doing custom designs using beads and components the women purchased in Ilha de Moçambique. One of the women got several strands of centuries-old trade beads that the islanders dig for in the sand that I reworked into 3 necklace sets and several bracelets. The other woman purchased pendants and discs made of gold-tone mother of pearl, which I made into slightly more upmarket designs.

Here are some photos of the results:





12 comments:

alphawoman said...

They are gorgeous!

Kristine said...

These are really beautiful! I am glad you modeled them. You are incredibly beautiful as well. :)
I wish I lived there. I'd be a customer for sure.

Marcia Francois said...

Beautiful, Ali. I love that blue set!

Eduarda said...

As an artist, do you "feel" the experience of creating the product differently when using pieces from a place like Ilha de Mocambique? I'm thinking of the history of the place. But maybe all beads have history..?

Safiya Outlines said...

Lovely as always. I like the middle one best.

Professor Howdy said...

Hello!
Very good posting.
Thank you - Have a good day!!!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Alphawoman - Thank you. :)

~Kristine - Can I hire you to chase away my self-critic?

~Marcia - Thanks. Can't wait to see you in Jo'burg!

~Shades of Blue - This is an interesting question. When I work with old beads or special stones, I often imagine the chain of people that held the stone before me. Like with the Ilha de Moçambique beads, did they pass through the hands of an Arab trader? How did they end up lost in the sand? Who was the beachcomber or treasure digger that found the bead? Who did he sell it to? Thinking of these stories is one of my favorite things to do while I make jewelry. :)

~Safiya - Thanks for the compliment. I am making a similar one now, but with tones of yellow and silver instead of gold and purple.

~Professory Howdy - I also suspect you may be spam. Regardless, "howdy" back at you.

Willie Baronet said...

beeeutiful stuff. ;-)

p.s. just watch Planet Earth, a new series on Discovery, and it had some amazing footage of Africa, which made me want to go back!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

i second kristine's words!

you look adorable modeling your creations...and they are incredible. i love them all but the blue might be my favorite...but i love the first one too...hmmm...good thing i don't have to choose i guess.
(oh and happy belated blog anniversary!)

jenica said...

these are gorgeous!

AFlyOnTheWall said...

Your work is really impressive - you should look into some of the beading forums on yahoo groups, you would find there are a lot of us out there and all over the world!

I am on Beadingaholics at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Beadingaholics/

We would love to talk to you there and share source info!

Robyn

African Kelli said...

Beautiful!!