Thursday, August 18, 2016

Invisalign Day One

Today I started treatment with invisalign. My dentist recommended it not for aesthetic reasons,  rather for functional/health reasons(although I do have crooked teeth because I didn't properly wear my retainer after braces as a teenager). The main culprit is a lower incisor that juts to the outside of my top teeth, a classic cross bite. My bite doesn't align properly, my teeth are starting to get ground down in weird ways, and I was having TMJ issues. After hearing my dentist's speech about how these symptoms will evolve in the long term, I was convinced.

I am set up with 32 aligners (clear trays that progressively move your teeth), each of which I should wear for 22 hours a day. I will switch to a new aligner every two weeks, bringing with it some soreness as my teeth adapt to their new position. So best case scenario I'm looking at about 16 months of treatment.

By far the hardest part of invisalign will be wearing the trays for 22 hours a day. You only remove the aligners to eat and drink, and no snacks or coffee or gum or anything between meals. You also have to majorly step up your oral hygiene game and brush and floss your own teeth, and as well as clean the aligners after each removal.

My dental visit today was a bit traumatic, as they had to shave down about 10 of my teeth in order to open up space for them to move into their new position. On my top teeth they had to create .3mm gaps, and on my bottom teeth they had to create .5mm gaps. Half a millimeter is a huge amount to shave off a tooth. Because dentists and jewelers use many of the same tools and processes, I not only was very familiar with the rotary drill and diamond disc, I could imagine exactly what was being done to my enamel because it's exactly what I do to metal every day. I really think this is a case where ignorance is bliss. It also hurt, but I am a baby with very sensitive teeth.

I also have 18 attachments (also called buttons) on my teeth now, basically little knobs of tooth-colored material that helps the plastic trays grip your teeth and get them moving. Some people require no attachments and no tooth filing...I got "lucky" and was prescribed a pretty heavy dose of both. What's worse is you can totally notice them, especially with the trays in, so my invisalign is far from invisible.

My initial feeling when seeing my mouth with the aligners in was regret. I feel ugly and awkward and have a little bit of a lisp (they say it gets better after a few days once your tongue adjusts to the aligners). I am dreading being in social situations that call for removal of the trays. I can't even contemplate dating with these babies in the mix, although that's not on my radar at this point anyhow so I suppose cross that bridge when I come to it. I am trying to keep the long-term perspective that this is a sound investment in my health, and that a little bit of suffering now will be worth it to avoid serious problems down the line. But today I just feel blah.

6 comments:

Marcia (123 blog) said...

Oh Ali, that sounds awful. I sometimes bit a nail here and there, if I don't have nail clippers with me and I'm out. Last year, my top teeth were jagged from the biting and my dentist filed them straight again. AMAZING to not have those jagged bits but I'm getting tense in my shoulders just telling you about it because I"m also a baby regarding dentistry!

SO MUCH love to you!

You can do it :)

Ali Ambrosio said...

˜Marcia - Thank you. I also have jagged front teeth and was thinking of having them filed a while back. I was too scared, but now that I've endured the invisalign prep work I think it should be a breeze! I appreciate the solidarity!

Swethapriya said...

Invisalign blogs are most helpful to gain a lot which helps to straighten your teeth within a short time.


Invisalign Treatment In Chennai

Hemalatha Jagan said...

Invisalign and other orthodontic appliances are aligning the misaligned teeth. If your teeth are misaligned just than more, it requires minor surgical procedure to fix the aligners. It seems that your dentition is also like that.

Dentist in Hennur Road
Dentist in Kalyan Nagar
Best Dentist in Bangalore
Best Dental Clinic in Bengaluru
Dentist in Bangalore

chaixiaoqi said...

Informative post thanks for sharing
gold rate in chennai
gold rate today namakkal
gold price today salem
gold rate today madurai
gold rate today at grt

queenarts said...

Nice post
grt gold rate today