Sunday, March 23, 2014

New York After Nearly 20 Years

Back in October we went to New York to celebrate my birthday with friends and family. It had been nearly two decades since I had been to the city, and about the same for Rico. New York at 30-something is totally different than New York as a pre-teen. Much more fun, much more expensive, much more exhausting.

We stayed with a friend from Belgium who I met back in 1998 on my AFS year to Brazil. We've kept in touch all these years, and now he is a diplomat working with the UN. Coincidentally my cousin was in town, a crazy friend from the Bay Area was around too, and two of my favorite jewelry girls now live in New York and are doing courses at the Gemology Institute of America (GIA). It was cool to just hang out with people and share a little of their routines and favorites in the city.

We walked an unholy amount every day, the heel on one of my boots fell off, the weather was good, the architecture was killer, and we ate the most delicious food. My most memorable meal was definitely birthday extravagance at Ma Peche. Maialino was also fantastic.

Hopefully it won't be another 20 years until we make it back.












No comments: