Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Vacation, California Style

This is what I live for. Quality time with my family, my girl Azul, art classes and beautiful places to roam just outside our front door.

Increasingly I realize that I will likely never go work for a "real company". I value my freedom and my time too much. It would have to be an extraordinary job offer for me to give up the ability to take 2 months off each year to travel across the world and visit the people and places I love. It's getting to the point that I'd literally have to be offered millions to give this up, and even then I'd wonder what kind of obligations and stress I'd be getting myself into...

Anyhow, some photos of what I've been up to lately:

Smiling before a day of shopping. I made this kyanite and iolite necklace and earring set. A similar one is available at my Etsy Shop here.

Hanging out with my girl Azul / Zinha / BebeZee / ZulZalamin. The cat of 1,000 nicknames.

We love a Burmese!

Last weekend we drove to Pacifica where, miraculously, the fog was missing in action.

Instead, we got to see this beautiful view of the coast while taking the dogs for a walk.



More vacation photos to come soon!

6 comments:

Toni M Photography said...

Ooo I am jealous of you enjoying the sun... How I wish we had some here. But it's coming into winter and today it's full of rain (though good for the drought)... I am glad you are enjoying your holidays with the family and friends. You seem happier.

Big hugs,
Love Toni

Amber said...

*sigh* Oh, how I want to go to the beach sooooon!

:)

Willie Baronet said...

What a great trip! Glad you are so in touch with your freedom. :-)

I am so missing Africa!

paris parfait said...

Ah, Pacifica! I'm so homesick, Ali. Glad you're having a fabulous time! Love the photos! xo

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know EXACTLY what you mean about not wanting to get a job in a ‘real’ company… I’ve been prolonging my studies for so long; I think my family are despairing that i’ll never properly enter the job market! The little time I’ve spent in offices doing temp work has scared me off I’m afraid, I think the structure definitely suits some people but I find it quite dispiriting. Guess it gives me good incentive to make sure I can make a living from my creative side... My ultimate goal is to one day open an art/photo gallery in Maputo, showcasing local and international artists. Do you think there would ever be a market for something like that there? I’m sure this is what I’ll ultimately do…I’ve even had detailed dreams about what it’s going to look like!

Ali Ambrosio said...

~Toni - Well, if it's any consolation, it's sunny here only a fraction of the time. The rest of the time is cold and foggy, even in summer!

~Amber - Me too. I live near so many beaches and yet never seem to go.

~Rrramone - Any plans to go back?

~Paris Parfait - It was my first time in Pacifica, and I really enjoyed it.

~Moira - Girl, make it happen! I think your art/photo gallery in Maputo is a wonderful idea.

Are you familiar with the Nucleo de Arte? They do paintings and sculptures, all local artists, but seem to be pretty successful.

I think a wider scope, more mixed media gallery would be really cool, and with the expat community there is certainly the income to support it.

Let me know how your plans move forward!