Thursday, November 23, 2006

No Snip for the Boys

I made a tough decision this morning. I decided not to take the boys to get neutered. Not because they don't need to be fixed - it's overdue and certainly must be done at some point - but because I gave *my* health first priority.

I've had one of the worst weeks ever in terms of my allergies. Part of me thinks this is a good thing, as does my doctor at the clinic, because it possibly signals a "healing crisis". This means that my body is finally reacting to stress and allergens when they occur instead of bottling up the reaction much like people do with emotions they don't express. At some point, there is a crisis. And the more you push things inside, the worse (although less-frequent) the crises tend to be. The doctor at the clinic said that my allergies are so bad that my body is not capable of reactions at this point, so there is the possibility that the string of attacks I've experienced this week is actually a good sign. I'll admit, they have been progressively less intense...

Anyhow, back to the boys. I decided not to get them fixed because the prospect of going to the vet by myself, leaving them there all day, then having to deal with the post-op really has me stressed. Super stressed. I know getting cats neutered is relatively speaking no big deal, but it's taking a toll on me and I'd prefer to wait until Ricardo is back to give me some emotional support at the vet's and afterward.

I realize this means I may have to deal with more, um, incidents in the bed, but the relief I felt this morning when I decided to cancel the appointment at the vet's was worth it. I may have avoided another allergy attack in the process, because I already could feel it building up when I woke up, and now my pre-crisis symptoms seem to have subsided.

Hopefully foregoing the snip today won't mean that I have to deal with even more stress in the next month because of the boy's raging hormones. I'd like to think I made the right decision...

2 comments:

Mauricio said...

Oi Ali, bom dia!

Obrigado pelo comment lá no blog.

Um abraço.

JP (mom) said...

Your relief signals that it was the right decision :)

get well soon, dear Ali! JP