Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Veggie Lasagna and Self-Discipline

I have terrible allergies again today. I've identified a potential link between my sneezing and wheezing and alcohol consuption, which is kind of a bummer. Of all the things to be allergic to... I did some reading on the internet and discovered that likely my sensitivity is not to the alcohol itself but to some additive or processing component like brewer's yeast or corn or sulfites. Blah. I certainly don't think alcoholic beverages are the only thing fueling my attacks, but I have noticed a definite trend as of late... (she says with a glass of red wine in hand, waiting for the vegetable lasagna to finish baking).

We are going full speed ahead with the two IFC projects. It's nice to be busy, to have deadlines, to be accountable to someone other than Ricardo in my professional life. Having responsibilities I can't weasel out of or delay in accordance with my laziness is a blessing. I realize fully the importance of having structure and schedules in my life.

Part of me feels like for the past year I have been drifting, living too much of the good life, getting by with a minimum of effort and planning. As good as it is just to hang out and travel, I like having work to do and the sense that each day I contribute something concrete and meaningful to a project or a business or a dream. It's easy to find this balance between responsibilities and pleasure when the person enforcing the deadlines is someone other than myself, Ricardo or my mom (my main business and activity partners as of late).

The challenge comes when I have to self-discipline, be accountable to nobody but myself, plod away at a bit of work each day instead of leaving it all for the last minute. The rewards of working to fulfill my dreams and objectives and not those of another person or company are certainly much greater, but I increasingly realize that this is not without a tremedous amount of hard, hard work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Ali, you're a true Westerner at heart! Right down the the self-"fill in the blank" and strict schedules and deadlines, and the need to feel productive.

Saludos!

Ali Ambrosio said...

No matter how much wandering I do, it seems I can't deny my roots. :)

Honestly, though, I feel like my life has been too heavy on the no-deadlines-no-discipline-no-schedule side for the last year. I recognize the value of this (eastern?) way of life and try and strike a balance. But I need a healthy dose of the other side to be happy, I've discovered!

Willie Baronet said...

Hey Ali, that previous comment was from me. I was signed in as a friend who I was helping to post something on his blog. :-)

Didn't want to confuse you!

boho girl said...

It is such a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for introducing yourself on my bloggie!

You know...my husband just recently started getting allergy attacks after drinking alcohol. Interesting. Do let me know if you do more research.

Peace to you, girlfriend.

Love,
Boho

Ali Ambrosio said...

~rrramone - I thought it might have been you! The "saludos" was what tipped me off. :)

~boho - thanks for stopping by. I'll definitely let you know if I get any useful info about the allergy/alcohol thing.

paris parfait said...

Sorry about the allergies- I share those woes! As for the work/travel/life balance, the key is balance - not too much work or too much play. It sounds like you're doing well with the new project (and the extra people in the house).