Monday, December 26, 2005

What a Vacation!

I have been so busy since we arrived in Brasil 9 days ago it's insane. Rico and I have been helping his mom move into a new apartment all week, including most of Christmas day. I've also been running around trying to find furniture for the house in various antique stores throughout Rio. It's been a hectic week, but Rico's mom is almost unpacked, I have a new dining room table, a big desk, a couch, and lots of new paintings, and I've met all of Rico's relatives during the various Christmas eve celebrations that took place (brasilians celebrate at midnight on the 24th with a big family dinner).

So far the trip has been very productive, but we haven't had a chance to sit back and relax. I knew before arriving in Brasil that it wasn't going to be much of a vacation (I have to finish writing 2 proposals before we go back to Mozambique), but I didn't anticipate having so much work to do between the move and trying to catch up on the maintenance and furnishing of the casa rosa. I can't complain, though. It's been fabulous...I just wish I had more time to write about it all!!!

Tomorrow I've set aside time to be at home - there is someone coming to look at the roof (leaking again), and to give an estimate to fix some of the doors and windows (not closing properly due to heat and humidity), and to deliver some of the antiques I bought this afternoon. I hope that inbetween waiting for everyone to show up, I can hang some pictures, wrap super-late holiday gifts for my family, and WRITE A DECENT ENTRY IN MY BLOG!

Hope you are all well and had a fabulous holiday. Rico and I spent most of our Christmas in a gas station in the rain. It was straight out of Chevy Chase...more tomorrow.

No comments: